Vocational Training in Spain

In Spain, higher education is taught primarily in Spanish. Since 2010, there has been an increase in English-speaking bachelor’s and master’s programs at most Spanish universities. Many Spanish universities offer language courses during the summer. You have the opportunity to apply for work in Spain, but unemployment in the country is high. Among the country’s 17 regions, there can be significant differences in how education is planned and administered.

Autonomy with Spain’s 17 “autonomies” (autonomous regions) also includes the education system. Some national guidelines have been set for all levels of education, but self-government also means that there are differences in education in the individual regions.

As one of countries starting with letter S listed on Countryaah, Spain was a dictatorial state, but after Franco’s death in 1975, democracy was introduced. These events have shaped developments in Spain and, among other things, fostered contact with foreign countries, and major reforms have been introduced in many areas.

The Spanish economy has been hit hard by the financial crisis, and it is only in 2014 that the Spanish economy is showing slight growth.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in Spain

The vocational training system in Spain is called Formación Profesional (FP).

  • Técnico + area, typically lasts 1½ years

To gain access to a vocational education, one must have passed 10 years of schooling equivalent to the compulsory primary school in Spain.

It is also possible to take a vocational education in music and dance, where you start after the 6th school year. Vocational education in art and design can be completed either after 10 years of schooling or in combination with parts of a vocational education in music and dance.

Vocational higher education after upper secondary education (Técnico superior)

It is possible to take a short higher education after completing a vocational education or a high school diploma. The educations last 2-3 years and take place in modules within different specialties.

You can find out more on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Education (in Spanish)


If you are considering taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education.

Economics and education

In Spain, tuition fees are paid for higher education, and should you take your entire education in Spain, or should you leave as a guest student, this is relevant to you.

At the public universities, one must expect a tuition fee of DKK 3-6,000 per year and between DKK 32,000 and 47,000 per year at the private universities.

Work in Spain

In Spain, there is a 40-hour working week, and everyone is entitled to 30 days’ holiday a year. The minimum wage (Salario Mínimo Interprofesional) is approx. DKK 3,000 (400 euros) per month, which is quite a bit compared to a skilled industrial worker’s average salary, which is approx. DKK 9,700 (1,300 euros).

The Spanish labor market is characterized by large job rotation, and approx. 30% of all employments are fixed-term contracts.

Unemployment in Spain in May 2013 was 26.9%, making it one of the highest in Europe. There is particularly high unemployment among young people.

Job search

You can receive unemployment benefits for 3 months while you apply for a job in Spain. Information on work in Spain is available from the EURES Advisers at the country’s Job Centers, who have contact with the Spanish Employment Service (Instituto Nacional de Empleo, INEM).

In addition, you can also search for e.g. this job database: www.opcionempleo.com

There is a special website where you can find jobs in the entertainment of tourists (eg as a musician, DJ, clown, magician or by doing street art): animajobs.com.

Work-and residence permit

As an EU citizen, you are free to stay in Spain for 3 months. If the stay extends beyond 3 months, you must apply for a residence permit.

The residence permit (Tarjeta de Residente Communitario) is applied for by the local police on arrival in Spain. You must bring an employment contract or documentation for admission to an educational institution as well as a valid passport. You must also be able to present documentation that you can support yourself.

Read more about residence permits on the Danish Embassy’s website and in the section Visas, work and residence permits.

Other things

It is possible to go on work stays combined with language teaching in Spain.

Practical conditions

According to topschoolsintheusa, there are good opportunities to attend a language course in Spain. Many Spanish universities offer language courses in Spanish during the summer. You can get more information about the courses by contacting the Spanish Ministry of Education (Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia) or the Spanish Resource Center for guidance.

At the Department of Romance Studies at the University of Copenhagen, there are both notices and brochures about language courses at many different levels. They are usually private, but you can e.g. apply for scholarships to finance the stay, and there is no requirement to be a university student.


It can be difficult for foreigners to find a place to live, especially in the big university cities. You can often get information about housing options at the university you are applying for. If you want a dorm room (Colegios mayores), it is a good idea to apply at least 6 months before the start of studies.

In Spain, there is the newspaper Segundamano, which is similar to The Blue Newspaper. The newspaper is published three times a week, and here you can be lucky to find a room. Often, part of the rent for a room can be paid by teaching English. It is recommended that you get a written lease.

Study in Spain

About the author