Vocational Training in Japan

In Japan, there are 13 universities that have degrees in English. English-language programs are increasingly offered in Japan, mainly at the superstructure level. It is the result of a government strategy to internationalize education provision in the country. There are also a number of scholarships for students who want to come on study stays in Japan.

Interest in the Western world in Japan is growing, as is knowledge of English. Today you will meet more and more people who speak good English.

As a country starting with letter J listed on Countryaah, Japan is one of the countries in the East that in the last 10 years has begun to attract students from the western part of the world.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in Japan

Vocational education in Japan lasts 3 years after 9 years of schooling. A vocational education combines compulsory general high school subjects with vocational subjects and leads to the diploma Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho, which provides access to higher education in Japan.

After 9th grade, you can start at a technology college (Koto Senmon Gakko), which offers 5-year vocational training aimed at the needs of the labor market. If you start after 12 years of schooling, the educations last 2 years. The programs combine general subjects with vocational subjects and possibly laboratory work or research. They lead to a Jun-Gakushi (Associate Degree), which is a qualification at the higher level.

If you want to complete an entire vocational education in Japan, you must be able to speak Japanese.


If you are considering taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education

Economics and education

Tuition fees are paid at universities in Japan. The tax is between 450,000 and 1,400,000 yen (approx. DKK 25,000-80,000) per year.

The Japanese Ministry of Education, Monbukagakusho, awards scholarships to Danish students who want to study in Japan. The scholarships are awarded partly to Danish students who study Japanese at bachelor level in Denmark, partly to Danes who have a bachelor’s degree in various subjects, e.g. engineering and economics.

The scholarships are DKK 10,000-13,000 per month. In addition, travel expenses and other expenses related to the stay in Japan are covered.

You can get more information about the scholarships at the topschoolsintheusa.

Danish researchers planning a research stay in Japan can apply for research grants at the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). You can find out more about the scholarships at Danish Universities or at JSPS

Work in Japan

Work-and residence permit

You can stay in Japan for 3 months without a visa. If you need to stay in Japan for a longer period of time to study or work, you must have a visa before entering Japan. The visa is applied for at the Embassy of Japan

It is very difficult to change one’s residence status while staying in Japan. Often one has to travel out of the country and submit a new application to the Embassy of Japan.

Job search

If your computer is set up for it, you can search for jobs on this Japanese job database: Careerjet

Practical conditions

As a student, it is possible to live in a dormitory or find an apartment for subletting. Some universities have their own dormitories, which they rent out to foreign students. If you have problems finding a place to live, it is always a good idea to contact the university or school you are going to, as they will often be able to help you.

As in most other big cities, rental prices in Tokyo increase the closer you get to the city center. For a small apartment, expect a rent of between 40,000 to 80,000 yen depending on where it is located.

Apartments will often be unfurnished and you should expect to pay a deposit on a few months rent. In addition, it is not always allowed to have anyone other than the tenant living, so remember to check with your landlord if you have friends or family living.

You can travel around Japan for up to three months on your passport. If, on the other hand, you have other purposes than just traveling, you must apply for a visa. This applies if you e.g. must study or work. Before you can apply for this visa, however, you must first have a so-called Certificate of Eligibility. The certificate, which is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan, you as an applicant can not apply for yourself, and you must therefore get someone in Japan to contact the local immigration office and apply on your behalf. Often, your Japanese educational institution will be able to apply for you. Please note that the application process lasts two to three months and the certificate expires after 3 months.

Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility, you can start applying for a visa. Which type you should apply for depends on your purpose of stay. If you are going to university, for example. Apply for a college student visa, whereas you must apply for a pre-college visa if it is a high school education you are aiming for.
You can read more about the requirements and the different types of visas at the Japanese Embassy in Denmark’s website

It would be a good idea to sign up for the National Health Insurance System as soon as you arrive in Japan, as if you are injured, you will only have to pay 30% of the cost of the treatment. The price for signing up depends on, among other things. of your income ratio, but expect about 3,325 yen.

Many universities have their own health insurance policies for their students, so check with the international office at your Japanese university to find out more.

Study in Japan

About the author