Vocational Training in Canada

Canada has good educational opportunities for foreign students. Several Danish educational institutions have exchange agreements with Canadian universities. You can also take a language course in Canada, where both English and French are spoken.

English is spoken in most of Canada, but in the province of Quebec the main language is French. However, due to a relatively large English-speaking minority, there are also English-speaking schools (colleges) and universities here. In large parts of Eastern Canada, both French and English are spoken, especially in New Brunswick, which is the only official bilingual province.

As one of countries starting with letter C listed on Countryaah, Canada has experienced economic growth over the past few years despite expectations to the contrary following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States. There is especially increased growth in the entertainment industry, especially the film industry. People today talk about Canada as North Hollywood. There is also a rapid development in the IT area.

Canada has no national education system. Public educational institutions fall under each of the ten provinces and three territories into which Canada is divided. The education systems, including admission requirements, programs, tuition fees and tuition fees, are broadly similar with small variations from province to province. Canada also has a large French-speaking population and French-speaking universities, where the education system differs from the English-speaking universities.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in Canada

The different provinces and territories have their own vastly different vocational training systems. You must therefore examine the conditions in the individual province / territory if you are interested in taking a vocational education in Canada. The Canadian ENIC Office can provide more information on vocational training in each province and territory.


If you are thinking of taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education.

Work in Canada

You usually have to have very specific qualifications to get a job in Canada. Most employment takes place as secondments via Danish employers.

Job search

On the job portal Workinfonetyou can get information about job search in Canada. Here you will also find an overview of various job bases and employment services.

Among other things, you can search further on these job bases:

  • WorkopolisHere, in addition to applying for jobs, you can also (by clicking on “resource center”)
    read about how to write an application and how to prepare for a job interview.
  • Jobshark
  • Canadian jobs
  • Careerjet

Work-and residence permit

If you have been admitted to a higher education institution in Canada, in order to obtain a visa, you must apply to the Canadian High Commission (Immigration Division) for a student authorization. However, studies lasting less than 6 months do not require a visa.

In addition, you must be able to document that you can finance a study stay in Canada. Students who have been admitted to a university in Québec must also enclose a certificate of acceptance de Québec from the immigration authorities in Québec.

To obtain a work permit, you must be approved by both the employer and the Canadian employment service.

Practical conditions

There are a number of organizations that arrange various types of stays in Canada, e.g. courses and work and internships.

You can get information about different French and English language courses at the Canadian Studies Center in Aarhus.

The organization Alott organizes Working Holidays in Canada.


There are dormitory rooms adjacent to most educational institutions. The number of rooms is limited, so it is a good idea to book a dorm room 4-5 months before the semester begins.

There are usually housing ads in the local newspapers. When renting an apartment, a deposit corresponding to the number of months you want to rent is often required. In many places you sign a lease for 8-12 months. Fully furnished rooms can be rented on a weekly basis.

You can get information about housing by contacting the Canadian University’s Housing Officer or International Student Adviser.

In addition, you can search further on these websites:

  • Student Housing Canada
  • Hostelling International Canada
  • Canadian Hotel Guide
  • Canada Select Here you can search for b & b’s, apartments, hotels, cottages, motels and much more in Canada.


According to topschoolsintheusa, foreign students must register with the Provincial Health Coverage Authority to receive free health insurance. However, this health insurance does not cover everything, and you should therefore take out health insurance from home.

There is a special agreement between health insurance in Denmark and Québec. You can find out more about the agreement from the Danish Agency for Patient Safety.

Other things

You can find a lot of useful information about, among other things, visas on the following websites:

  • Citizenship and immigration Canada
  • Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada – Immigration Division – the Canadian Immigration Service.
  • Canadian Information Center for International Credentials
  • Embassy of Denmark in Canada
  • Service Canada – Practical information about e.g. housing, health and work

Study in Canada

About the author