Working, shopping, paying taxes, saving on your own house: It goes without saying that we live in a functioning economic system. Thanks to the division of labor and state-regulated competition, prosperity and quality of life in Germany are at a relatively high level.
Studying economics means engaging in the activity of economics . What must be done so that our social market economy continues to function? How can the right employees be found and motivated? What does a sensible way of dealing with a banking crisis look like? Which laws have to be observed when starting a new company? All of these questions are dealt with in an economics course.
The courses in the field of economics are just as diverse as our economic system. The best-known courses in the field of economics include business administration and economics.
Business administration and economics – the classics
- The business administration deals with the economies of individual companies .
- In economics , it is about the “big picture”. The focus is on the question of how economic systems work on a national and international level .
Since economic globalization is becoming more and more important, there are many courses in business administration and economics with a focus on globalization , for example courses on the subject of international business administration .
Management or Business Law? How do I specialize?
Business administration and economics courses are just one study option from the economic sector. In the meantime, numerous individual disciplines have emerged. These offer students the chance to acquire specialist knowledge in a certain area from the start and thus improve their later job opportunities.
Degree programs with a focus on management
Since a functioning economy depends not least on efficiently operating companies, courses with a focus on management are in high demand. There are many degree programs geared towards individual industries, including
- Hotel management
- Leisure management
- Tourism management
- Event management
- Trade management
Degree courses in transport and real estate management
The degree courses in transport and real estate management also train students to become experts in individual economic sectors:
- In a degree in transport economics, all aspects of transport and traffic are in the foreground. Students learn to represent and analyze problems in the transport industry and to develop solutions.
- How do you plan a construction project? How can buildings be marketed and maintained? And which economic, ecological, legal and social influences need to be taken into account? The Real Estate Management course provides students with specialist knowledge in the real estate sector .
With entrepreneurship to become an expert in corporate management
Bachelor and master programs in the field of entrepreneurship are relatively new . These prepare students to start and run their own company .
Study economics with a specialization
As a business student, you have the opportunity to prepare for a job in certain areas of the company . There are courses in accounting and controlling, logistics management , marketing , human resources and project management . With your know-how, you can later work in the relevant departments of commercial companies in a wide variety of industries.
To become a financial expert with a degree in banking and finance
Banks and other financial service providers also play a crucial role in our economic system. Banking / financial services courses prepare students for a career in this sector. Graduates are, for example, responsible for advising customers or working in the management of banks.
With economics to become an auditor
Study programs in the field of auditing approach the subject of economics from a different angle. They train students to become independent auditors who carry out annual audits of companies and banks or who act as business advisors. This training is more time-consuming and, in addition to studying, includes one to three years of practical assistance in an auditing company.
The “interface courses”
In Germany in particular, there are so-called “interface” or “hyphen” courses. These combine economic topics with knowledge from other disciplines . A study of economic computer science , for example, moves at the interface of computer science and business administration. Other interdisciplinary courses are industrial engineering and business law .
Requirements for a business degree
Anyone applying for a degree in economics should apply
- interested in economic relationships.
- have a weakness for mathematics , as the skillful use of numbers is one of the prerequisites for any business degree
- Have a good command of English , especially in management courses and in internationally oriented study programs.
The economy – a diverse professional field
Depending on the course, graduates have access to professional fields in various economic sectors and work areas . The chances of getting a job are good in all subjects. It is advisable to complete internships during your studies in order to gain practical work experience.
Scoring points in the business world with experience abroad
Many banks and companies in business operate on an international level . They are therefore looking for graduates with good foreign language skills and intercultural skills. In the course of one or more semesters abroad, students can expand these skills. In addition, during a stay abroad you have the opportunity to
- to make contacts at the university or during internships . This enables them to network at an early stage. This can be of great help in gaining a foothold abroad after studying.
- to get to know another country, to make friends with fellow students from all over the world and to develop personally .