According to a2z Countries, Pleasanton, Texas is a small city located in Atascosa County. It is situated in the South Texas Plains region and has an elevation of 511 feet above sea level. The climate of Pleasanton is generally mild and humid, with temperatures ranging from cold winters to hot summers. The average annual precipitation is 23 inches, with most of it occurring during the summer months.
The city was founded in 1858 by settlers from Alabama and was originally named “The City of Pleasanton”. It was later renamed to Pleasanton after General John Pleasanton, who fought for the Union during the Civil War. In 1866, Pleasanton became the county seat of Atascosa County.
Politically, it is a part of Texas’s 28th Congressional District and is represented by Congressman Henry Cuellar. Economically, the city relies heavily on tourism as well as agriculture and oil production for its income. There are several schools in Pleasanton including public elementary schools, middle schools and high school operated by the Atascosa Independent School District (AISD). There are also two private schools: St Joseph Elementary School and St Thomas High School.
Some of the landmarks in Pleasanton include Pioneer Park which contains a replica pioneer village; Fort Inge Historic Site; National Register listed Santa Fe Depot; Old Atascosa County Courthouse; Mission San Francisco de los Tejas State Historic Site; and Choke Canyon State Park. The city also hosts numerous festivals throughout the year such as Cowboy Days Festival, Watermelon Festival and Christmas on Main Street Parade & Festival.
Population: 8,266. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,375 (+13.4% change)
Males: 3,932 (47.6%), Females: 4,334 (52.4%)
Zip code: 78064
Median resident age: 33.2 years
Median household income: $29,644
Median house value: $58,600
Races in Pleasanton:
- Hispanic (51.1%)
- White Non-Hispanic (46.4%)
- Other race (15.3%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Black (1.0%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (9.9%), Irish (9.7%), English (6.4%), United States (3.7%), Polish (2.2%), French (2.1%).
Land area: 6.4 square miles
Pleasanton, Texas is a small town located in Atascosa County in South Texas. It has a population of approximately 8,000 people according to the 2020 census. The majority of the population is white (66%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (32%), and African American (2%). In terms of age, the median age is 34 years old and over half of the population (54%) are between the ages of 18-44. There is also a slightly higher percentage of males than females in Pleasanton’s population.
The majority of Pleasanton’s residents are employed in either professional or service occupations with 20% working in management, business, science and arts occupations, while 15% work in sales and office occupations. The unemployment rate for Pleasanton is 4%, which is lower than the national average. Education wise, most adults have at least some college education with 40% having obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Income wise, the median household income for Pleasanton is $51,300 which is slightly higher than both state and national averages. The cost of living index for Pleasanton is 86 which means it’s 14% lower than other cities across the United States. Families tend to be well-off as evidenced by an average family size of 3 persons and an average home value of $145K – significantly higher than other cities in Texas.
Overall, Pleasanton has seen steady growth over the past several decades due to its proximity to larger cities like San Antonio and its pleasant climate year round making it an attractive place to live for many people looking for a small town atmosphere with big city amenities nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Pleasanton
- High school or higher: 68.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pleasanton city
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 11.0%
5.0% Foreign born (4.1% Latin America, 0.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +249 (+3.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pleasanton:
- SOUTH TEXAS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; JOURDANTON, TX)
- WILSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; FLORESVILLE, TX)
- SOUTHWEST GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pleasanton:
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 30 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 39 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 101 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pleasanton:
- PLEASANTON MUNI (about 3 miles; PLEASANTON, TX; Abbreviation: PEZ)
- HORIZON (about 22 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 74R)
- STINSON MUNI (about 26 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SSF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pleasanton:
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 26 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 31 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 32 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 34 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE INCARNATE WORD (about 36 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,734)
Public high schools in Pleasanton:
- PLEASANTON H S (Students: 950; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
- C A R E ACADEMY (Students: 34; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pleasanton:
- PLEASANTON PRIMARY (Students: 819; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: PK – 02)
- PLEASANTON EL (Students: 525; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: 03 – 06)
- PLEASANTON INTERMEDIATE (Students: 524; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: 05 – 06)
- PLEASANTON J H (Students: 509; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: 07 – 08)
- LEMING EL (Students: 135; Location: 831 STADIUM DR; Grades: PK – 01)
Library in Pleasanton:
- PLEASANTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $117,633; Location: 321 N MAIN ST; 25,386 books; 650 audio materials; 1,274 video materials; 90 serial subscriptions)