According to e Country Directory, Penelope, Texas is located in the western part of the state and lies within a humid subtropical climate zone. The area experiences hot, humid summers and mild winters with occasional light snowfall. The city is home to a rich history with deep roots in the Civil War era when it served as an important trading post between North and South.
The economy of Penelope is largely based on agriculture, and the city is known for its local produce such as pecans, cotton, corn, and soybeans. It also has a thriving tourism industry due to its close proximity to several popular lakes and rivers.
The political landscape of Penelope is quite diverse with both Republicans and Democrats represented in the city council. The city also boasts a wide variety of schools including public schools, private institutions, charter schools, magnet schools, religious schools and universities.
Penelope has several noteworthy landmarks that draw visitors from all over the state including The Old Penelope Courthouse Square which dates back to 1842 and offers an interesting glimpse into the region’s past; The Penelope Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers; The Penelope Historic District which contains several charming buildings dating back to the 1800s; And Lake Tawakoni State Park which provides outdoor recreational opportunities such as camping and fishing.
Population: 211. Estimated population in July 2020: 231 (+9.5% change)
Males: 104 (49.3%), Females: 107 (50.7%)
Zip code: 76676
Median resident age: 38.5 years
Median household income: $31,667
Median house value: $24,100
Races in Penelope:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.8%)
- Hispanic (25.6%)
- Other race (13.7%)
- Black (6.2%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Czech (26.1%), Irish (18.0%), German (16.1%), French (5.2%), English (2.8%), United States (2.8%).
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Penelope, Texas is a small rural town located in East Central Texas. The population of the town is estimated to be around 500 people, with a median age of 39 years. The majority of the population is white (87.8%) followed by African American (7.6%), Hispanic or Latino (2.8%), and Asian (0.6%). The town’s economy is primarily agricultural, with some small businesses and a few larger employers providing jobs in the area. The major crops grown in the area are cotton and soybeans, while there are also some smaller vegetable farms nearby. There are also several churches in the area, which provide spiritual guidance to the local population. Education is provided by Penelope High School, which has an enrollment of approximately 200 students grades 9-12 who attend classes on campus or through a virtual learning program offered by the school district. Penelope is home to several parks and recreational areas, including Lake Penelope, which provides fishing and camping opportunities for locals and visitors alike. Overall, Penelope is a tight-knit community that values its rural roots and provides its residents with an abundance of resources for work and leisure activities alike.
For population 25 years and over in Penelope
- High school or higher: 69.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 35.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Penelope town
- Never married: 34.9%
- Now married: 47.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 9.4%
9.0% Foreign born (9.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +10 (+5.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Penelope:
- HILL REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; HILLSBORO, TX)
- HILLCREST BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 27 miles; WACO, TX)
- DE PAUL CENTER (about 27 miles; WACO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Penelope:
- WACO REGIONAL (about 27 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
- DRAUGHON-MILLER CENTRAL TEXAS REGIONAL (about 59 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Abbreviation: TPL)
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 68 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Penelope:
- WINGS FOR CHRIST INTL FLIGHT ACADEMY (about 18 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: 73F)
- TSTC WACO (about 19 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: CNW)
- HILLSBORO MUNI (about 19 miles; HILLSBORO, TX; Abbreviation: 5T5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Penelope:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-WACO (about 21 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,218)
- BAYLOR UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,183)
- MCLENNAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 27 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,658)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 37 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- TEMPLE COLLEGE (about 61 miles; TEMPLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW COLLEGE (about 61 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,029)
- DALLAS BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,496)
Public primary/middle school in Penelope:
- PENELOPE SCHOOL (Students: 186; Location: 309 AVE D; Grades: PK – 12)