According to Find Countries and Cities, Pecan Gap is a small city located in Northeast Texas. It is situated on the banks of the Red River, in Lamar County. The city covers an area of about 2 square miles and has a population of just under 4,000 people. The terrain is mostly flat, with a few rolling hills and some small woods scattered throughout.
The climate of Pecan Gap is typical of the region; hot summers, mild winters, and occasional rain throughout the year. Temperatures average around 60°F in winter and 90°F in summer. The city’s history dates back to its founding in 1837 as an agricultural settlement along the Red River. Over time it grew into a small town that served as an important trading center for farmers and ranchers in the area.
Politically, Pecan Gap is a right-leaning community with most residents voting Republican in elections. In terms of economy, agriculture still plays an important role but there are also smaller industries such as manufacturing and services that contribute to the local economy. There are several schools located within the city limits including Pecan Gap Elementary School, Pecan Gap Middle School, and Pecan Gap High School.
Pecan Gap has several notable landmarks including historic buildings such as the Old Lamar County Courthouse (built in 1868) and Old City Hall (built in 1890). There is also a nature preserve located on the outskirts of town where visitors can go to enjoy hiking trails or bird watching opportunities. The city park has playgrounds for children as well as picnic areas for families to enjoy during warm weather months.
Population: 214. Estimated population in July 2020: 221 (+3.3% change)
Males: 106 (49.5%), Females: 108 (50.5%)
Zip code: 75469
Median resident age: 41.0 years
Median household income: $31,389
Median house value: $36,500
Races in Pecan Gap:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.6%)
- Black (7.9%)
- Hispanic (6.5%)
- Other race (2.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (31.8%), English (13.6%), German (6.5%), Scotch-Irish (3.3%), Irish (2.8%), Scottish (2.3%).
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Pecan Gap, Texas is a small rural town located in Northeast Texas. It has a population of just over 1,000 people and is situated near the Texas/Oklahoma border. The town has a rich history that dates back to the early 1800’s when it was first settled by German immigrants. The population of Pecan Gap is primarily white, with slightly more than half of the population identifying as Caucasian. There are also small percentages of African American, Hispanic, and Native American populations living in the area. In addition to its diverse racial makeup, Pecan Gap also has a wide range of religious affiliations ranging from Christianity to Islam and Judaism.
The economy of Pecan Gap is mainly based on agriculture with many local farms growing cotton, soybeans, corn, wheat and hay for sale. There are also several large poultry farms in the area that produce eggs for sale across the country. Additionally, there are several small businesses located in town such as restaurants and retail stores that provide employment opportunities for residents. The town also benefits from tourism due to its proximity to historical sites such as Fort Belknap and Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic Districts which attract visitors from all over the world.
For population 25 years and over in Pecan Gap
- High school or higher: 85.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 28.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.2%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pecan Gap city
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 49.2%
- Separated: 5.2%
- Widowed: 17.3%
- Divorced: 6.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -21 (-8.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pecan Gap:
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL OF COMMERCE (about 14 miles; COMMERCE, TX)
- NORTHEAST MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; BONHAM, TX)
- CHRISTUS ST JOSEPHS HEALTH SYSTEM (about 26 miles; PARIS, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pecan Gap:
- COX FLD (about 31 miles; PARIS, TX; Abbreviation: PRX)
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 81 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 81 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pecan Gap:
- COMMERCE MUNI (about 11 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Abbreviation: 2F7)
- JONES FIELD (about 25 miles; BONHAM, TX; Abbreviation: F00)
- SULPHUR SPRINGS MUNI (about 26 miles; SULPHUR SPRINGS, TX; Abbreviation: SLR)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pecan Gap:
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE (about 15 miles; COMMERCE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,998)
- SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; DURANT, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- GRAYSON COUNTY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; DENISON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,082)
- COLLIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL PARK (about 60 miles; MCKINNEY, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,514)
- TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 69 miles; TYLER, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,872)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 69 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT DALLAS (about 70 miles; RICHARDSON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,695)