According to Countries Index, Pearsall is situated in the far southwest region of Texas, on the edge of the Edwards Plateau and near the Rio Grande River. It is a small city, with a population of slightly over 10,000 people. The climate in Pearsall is hot and semi-arid, with very little rainfall throughout the year.
The history of Pearsall dates back to 1877, when it was established as a stop along the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway. The railway brought more settlers to the area in search of farming opportunities and by 1884 Pearsall had become an incorporated town. In 1902, oil was discovered near Pearsall and it quickly became a thriving oil town. The discovery made Pearsall an important center for commerce and industry in South Texas.
Politics in Pearsall are dominated by conservative values, with most citizens voting Republican in national elections. At the local level there is also strong support for Republican values and candidates.
The economy of Pearsall has been largely driven by agriculture and farming over its history, but oil production has been an important part of its economy since its discovery in 1902. Today there are several industries based here including oil production, ranching, educational services, health care services, construction services and retail businesses that provide jobs to many people living here.
Pearsall is served by two public school districts; one serves students from kindergarten through sixth grade while another serves students from seventh through twelfth grade. There are also several private schools located within the city limits as well as several universities nearby offering higher education opportunities for those living here or wanting to pursue post-secondary education options nearby.
Some of the most iconic landmarks located around Pearsall include Brite Lake Park which offers fishing and swimming activities as well as picnic areas; Stinson Park which features a playground area; Frio Canyon which allows visitors to take part in outdoor activities such as camping and hiking; Frio River which allows for tubing and rafting opportunities; Guadalupe River which offers canoeing possibilities; San Miguel State Park which provides camping sites along with other outdoor recreational activities; Comanche Lookout Park which features a scenic overlook; Mission Espiritu Santo State Historic Site which provides tours detailing early Spanish colonial life during mission times; and La Plaza de las Islas Marias which features a replica mission church built out of adobe bricks dating back to 1756.
Population: 7,157. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,772 (+8.6% change)
Males: 3,624 (50.6%), Females: 3,533 (49.4%)
Zip code: 78061
Median resident age: 31.3 years
Median household income: $21,602
Median house value: $35,700
Races in Pearsall:
- Hispanic (84.2%)
- Other race (22.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (14.8%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (2.0%), United States (1.9%), English (1.9%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%), Irish (1.2%).
Elevation: 631 feet
Land area: 4.2 square miles
Pearsall, Texas is a small town located in Frio County, with a population of 8,741 according to the 2018 U.S. Census Bureau estimates. Pearsall is a predominantly Hispanic community with 64.6% of the population identifying as Hispanic or Latino and 33.2% identifying as White alone. The town has a median household income of $34,741 and a poverty rate of 22%. The majority of the population is between 25 and 44 years old, comprising 28.9% of the population. The largest age group is those under 18 years old at 28%, followed by those 45 to 64 years old at 20%. The gender ratio in Pearsall is roughly equal with 50.4% female and 49.6% male residents.
The town has an abundance of education opportunities for its residents ranging from elementary school to college level courses offered at nearby institutions such as South Texas College and Coastal Bend College which are both located within easy driving distance from Pearsall. There are also many churches in the area offering religious services for those interested in attending church services on Sundays or other days throughout the week depending on which church they attend. Pearsall also offers plenty of recreational activities such as golfing at its local golf course, fishing in its many lakes, and camping in nearby state parks like Choke Canyon State Park or Garner State Park that offer beautiful views and plenty of outdoor activities for all ages to enjoy year-round.
For population 25 years and over in Pearsall
- High school or higher: 52.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pearsall city
- Never married: 26.7%
- Now married: 52.3%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 10.3%
4.8% Foreign born (4.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +37 (+0.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Pearsall:
- FRIO REGIONAL HOSPITAL (200 S IH 35)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pearsall:
- COMMUNITY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; DILLEY, TX)
- MEDINA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; HONDO, TX)
- MEDINA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; HONDO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pearsall:
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 50 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 62 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- LAREDO INTL (about 97 miles; LAREDO, TX; Abbreviation: LRD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pearsall:
- MC KINLEY FIELD (about 6 miles; PEARSALL, TX; Abbreviation: T30)
- DILLEY AIRPARK (about 16 miles; DILLEY, TX; Abbreviation: 24R)
- DEVINE MUNI (about 21 miles; DEVINE, TX; Abbreviation: 23R)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pearsall:
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 49 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 54 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 56 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
- SOUTHWEST TEXAS JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 56 miles; UVALDE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,366)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 57 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 57 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
Public high school in Pearsall:
- PEARSALL H S (Students: 605; Location: 1990 MAVERICK DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pearsall:
- TED FLORES EL (Students: 638; Location: 321 W PENA; Grades: PK – 02)
- PEARSALL J H (Students: 536; Location: 607 E ALABAMA ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PEARSALL INT (Students: 499; Location: 523 E FLORIDA ST; Grades: 03 – 05)
- PEARSALL ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 9; Location: 1990 MAVERICK DR; Grades: 05 – 12)
Library in Pearsall:
- PEARSALL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $122,166; Location: 200 E TRINITY ST; 24,345 books; 425 audio materials; 1,250 video materials; 23 serial subscriptions)