According to iTypeJob, Pearland, Texas is located in the southeastern part of the state, about 20 miles south of Houston and 15 miles east of Galveston. The city has a subtropical climate with mild winters and hot, humid summers. The average temperature in Pearland ranges from 40°F to 90°F.
Pearland was founded in 1893 by Polish immigrant Jacob Gerschoff. It was a small farming community until the 1950s when it began to grow rapidly due to its proximity to Houston and Galveston. In 1960 it became an independent city with a population of around 2,000 people.
Politics in Pearland are dominated by the Republican party, which holds most seats on the city council and county government.
The economy of Pearland is largely driven by oil and gas production, as well as retail and hospitality services. The city is home to several large companies including Dow Chemical Company, ExxonMobil Corporation, and Halliburton Company. There are also numerous small businesses that provide services such as auto repair shops, restaurants, cafes, retail stores, banks, etc.
Pearland is served by two school districts: Pearland Independent School District (PISD) and Alvin Independent School District (AISD). PISD serves most of the city while AISD serves parts of northern Pearland. Both districts offer a variety of educational programs for students from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade including traditional public schools as well as charter schools and private institutions.
Some popular landmarks in Pearland include Shadow Creek Ranch Park & Nature Center which features hiking trails along a creek; Country Place Golf Course which offers an 18-hole championship golf course; Southwyck Golf Course which features an 18-hole executive golf course; Centennial Park which has outdoor sports fields; and Southwyck Shopping Center which offers shopping opportunities for all ages. Additionally there are many restaurants offering both local cuisine as well as international flavors from around the world.
Population: 37,640. Estimated population in July 2020: 56,790 (+50.9% change)
Males: 18,468 (49.1%), Females: 19,172 (50.9%)
Zip codes: 77581, 77584.
Median resident age: 34.3 years
Median household income: $64,156
Median house value: $117,700
Races in Pearland:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.4%)
- Hispanic (16.2%)
- Other race (6.1%)
- Black (5.3%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Vietnamese (1.8%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (15.3%), Irish (10.0%), English (10.0%), United States (7.4%), French (4.1%), Italian (3.3%).
Elevation: 54 feet
Land area: 39.3 square miles
Pearland, Texas is a city located in Brazoria County, which is part of the Greater Houston metropolitan area. As of 2020, Pearland’s population was estimated to be 120,287 people. The city is diverse and has a rapidly growing population with an average age of 33.2 years old. As of 2019, the racial makeup of Pearland was 76.3% White (non-Hispanic), 13.0% African American, 2.6% Asian, 0.4% Native American or Alaskan Native, 0.1% Pacific Islander or Hawaiian Native and 6.5% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos make up 28.7 percent of the population in Pearland as well as many other cities in Texas with their own unique culture and backgrounds adding to the diversity of the city’s population. The median household income for Pearland was estimated to be $95,284 in 2020; this is higher than both the median household income for Texas ($59,206) and the national median household income ($68,703). The unemployment rate in Pearland was estimated at 3 percent as of May 2020 which is lower than both Texas (8%) and the United States (13%).
For population 25 years and over in Pearland
- High school or higher: 87.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 29.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.2%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pearland city
- Never married: 19.3%
- Now married: 66.2%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 8.5%
6.7% Foreign born (3.2% Latin America, 2.0% Asia, 1.1% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +14,367 (+61.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Pearland:
- IHS HOSP AT HOUSTON (about 10 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- BAYSHORE MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; PASADENA, TX)
- VISTA MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; PASADENA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pearland:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 29 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pearland:
- SKYWAY MANOR (about 2 miles; PEARLAND, TX; Abbreviation: T79)
- PEARLAND RGNL (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: LVJ)
- WOLFE AIR PARK (about 7 miles; MANVEL, TX; Abbreviation: 3T2)
Amtrak stations near Pearland:
- 8 miles: SOUTH HOUSTON (1546 COLLEGE) – Bus Station
- 16 miles: HOUSTON (902 WASHINGTON AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pearland:
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 13 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 13 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 13 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 14 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 15 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
Public high school in Pearland:
- PEARLAND H S (Students: 2,532; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Pearland:
- NINTH GRADE CENTER (Students: 997; Location: P O BOX 7; Grades: 09 – 09)
- ROGERS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 824; Location: P O BOX 7; Grades: 05 – 06)
- RUSTIC OAK EL (Students: 778; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- SILVERCREST EL (Students: 777; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- PEARLAND JUNIOR HIGH SOUTH (Students: 757; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- SILVERLAKE EL (Students: 742; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- H C CARLESTON EL (Students: 705; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- SHADYCREST EL (Students: 693; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- C J HARRIS ELEMENTARY (Students: 682; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: PK – 04)
- PEARLAND JUNIOR HIGH WEST (Students: 650; Location: 2337 N GALVESTON AVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Pearland:
- EAGLE HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN ACADEM (Students: 205; Location: 4201 W. BROADWAY; Grades: PK – 6)
- CARDEN JACKSON SCHOOL INC (Students: 163; Location: 3801 LIBERTY DR; Grades: PK – 8)
- MONTESSORI SCHOL DOWNTOWN (Students: 21; Location: 2121 NORTH GRAND; Grades: KG – 3)