According to best-medical-schools, Oakboro, North Carolina is located in Stanly County, in the south-central part of the state. Its geography is characterized by rolling hills and thick forests, dotted with small communities and farms. The climate is temperate, with mild winters and hot summers.
Oakboro’s history dates back to the mid-1800s when it was established as a mill town. Since then it has grown steadily to become a vibrant city of approximately 9,000 people. It is known for its independent spirit, which has been reflected in its politics over the years. Oakboro residents are proud of their city’s progressive policies that have supported public education, social services and environmental protection.
The economy of Oakboro is based largely on agriculture and manufacturing. There are several large employers in the area including a textile mill and several food processing plants. In addition to these industries, there is also a growing service sector that includes retail stores, restaurants and healthcare facilities.
Oakboro has an excellent school system that provides students with a quality education from kindergarten through high school graduation. The city also boasts several higher learning institutions including Stanly Community College and Pfeiffer University’s Oakboro campus which offer degree programs ranging from business to nursing to technology studies.
The city’s landmarks include the historic Oakboro Town Square which features a gazebo surrounded by shops and restaurants as well as an old-fashioned bandstand where locals gather each Friday night for live music performances during the summer months. Another popular spot is the scenic Oakboro Lake which offers fishing opportunities as well as hiking trails along its banks perfect for nature lovers looking for some peace and quiet away from the hustle of everyday life.
Population: 1,198. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,180 (-1.5% change)
Males: 571 (47.7%), Females: 627 (52.3%)
Zip code: 28129
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $41,369
Median house value: $85,000
Races in Oakboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (74.9%)
- Black (19.7%)
- Hispanic (3.4%)
- Other race (2.3%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
Ancestries: United States (21.9%), German (10.9%), English (7.7%), Irish (5.9%), Scotch-Irish (4.2%), Dutch (1.5%).
Elevation: 540 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
Oakboro, North Carolina is a small town located in the heart of Stanly County. The population of Oakboro is approximately 2,400 citizens. The town is primarily made up of families and young professionals, with a mix of residents from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Despite its small size, Oakboro has an abundance of amenities and activities that make it a great place to live. There are several parks, trails, and recreational facilities available for residents to enjoy. The downtown area has shops and restaurants that provide a variety of shopping and dining options for locals and visitors alike. Education is also important in Oakboro; there are numerous elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, as well as community colleges in the area. Local businesses provide employment opportunities for many residents. Additionally, the town offers several programs to help those in need through various organizations such as churches and the local government’s social services department. The overall atmosphere in Oakboro is one of respectfulness and community spirit that makes it an ideal place to raise a family or start a business.
For population 25 years and over in Oakboro
- High school or higher: 74.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oakboro town
- Never married: 19.3%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 6.7%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -123 (-9.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Oakboro:
- STANLY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 13 miles; ALBEMARLE, NC)
- NORTHEAST MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; CONCORD, NC)
- UNION REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; MONROE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Oakboro:
- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL (about 42 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Abbreviation: CLT)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 63 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
- PIEDMONT TRIAD INTERNATIONAL (about 65 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GSO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Oakboro:
- BEAR CREEK (about 12 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, NC; Abbreviation: N44)
- U S (about 18 miles; WINGATE, NC; Abbreviation: N46)
- STANLY COUNTY (about 19 miles; ALBEMARLE, NC; Abbreviation: VUJ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oakboro:
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE (about 29 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 13,706)
- CENTRAL PIEDMONT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 7,967)
- ROWAN-CABARRUS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; SALISBURY, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,499)
- YORK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 52 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,221)
- HIGH POINT UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; HIGH POINT, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; WINSTON-SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,508)
- FORSYTH TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,271)
Public high school in Oakboro:
- WEST STANLY HIGH (Students: 1,029; Location: 16686 NC 24 27 HWY; Grades: 09 – 12)