According to 800zipcodes, Mount Olive, North Carolina is a small town located in eastern North Carolina with a population of around 4,000 people. It is located in Wayne County, just north of Goldsboro. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. Summers are typically hot and humid with temperatures in the 80s and 90s while winters are generally mild but can be cold at times.
The town was founded in 1760 and has a rich history. It was known for its role in the American Revolution as well as for having one of the first public schools in North Carolina. During the Civil War, it was also an important center for Confederate troops. Mount Olive has been governed by a mayor-council form of government since its incorporation in 1874.
The economy of Mount Olive is largely centered on agriculture, with many residents working on farms or related industries such as food processing or packaging plants. The city also has several small businesses, including retail stores and restaurants. In addition to agriculture, there are several manufacturing companies located nearby that provide jobs to the city’s residents.
Mount Olive is served by two public school systems: Wayne County Schools and Mount Olive College Preparatory Academy (MOCPA). Both systems offer a variety of educational opportunities for students from pre-K through 12th grade as well as adult education classes and vocational training programs.
There are several landmarks located in Mount Olive that have become popular tourist attractions over the years such as Waynesborough Park, which features a replica Revolutionary War fort; The Old Mill Museum; The Old Bank Building; The Old Post Office; and The Old Courthouse Square which includes historic buildings from the 1800s such as an old jailhouse, courthouse, sheriff’s office, bank building, post office building among others. In addition to these historic sites there are also many parks throughout the city that are popular destinations for outdoor recreation activities like fishing, hiking and camping.
Population: 4,567. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,442 (-2.7% change)
Males: 1,991 (43.6%), Females: 2,576 (56.4%)
Zip code: 28365
Median resident age: 37.5 years
Median household income: $23,984
Median house value: $72,400
Races in Mount Olive:
- Black (54.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (41.8%)
- Hispanic (3.2%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
Ancestries: United States (12.3%), English (6.1%), Irish (4.4%), German (3.8%), Scottish (1.5%), Subsaharan African (1.3%).
Land area: 2.5 square miles
Mount Olive, North Carolina is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. As of 2019, the population was estimated to be 3,637 people. The majority of the population is white (72%), followed by African American (21%), Hispanic/Latino (4%), Asian (2%) and other races (1%). The median age in Mount Olive is 37.1 years old and there is an almost even split between males and females with 48% male and 52% female.
The majority of the population has achieved at least a high school diploma with 27% having some college or beyond. The most popular profession for citizens of Mount Olive is retail salesperson, followed by construction laborers and cashiers. In terms of income, the median household income in Mount Olive is $36,917 which is lower than both the state average ($50,584) as well as the national average ($57,652). The poverty rate in Mount Olive is higher than both the national average (11.8%) and state average (14%) at 17%. These figures indicate that there are many families struggling to make ends meet in this small town despite its rural charm and strong sense of community.
For population 25 years and over in Mount Olive
- High school or higher: 66.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 9.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mount Olive town
- Never married: 31.9%
- Now married: 40.7%
- Separated: 4.7%
- Widowed: 14.2%
- Divorced: 8.5%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -201 (-4.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mount Olive:
- CHERRY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; GOLDSBORO, NC)
- WAYNE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; GOLDSBORO, NC)
- DUPLIN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; KENANSVILLE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mount Olive:
- SEYMOUR JOHNSON AFB (about 13 miles; GOLDSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GSB)
- KINSTON RGNL JETPORT AT STALLINGS FLD (about 34 miles; KINSTON, NC; Abbreviation: ISO)
- ALBERT J ELLIS (about 42 miles; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: OAJ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mount Olive:
- MOUNT OLIVE MUNI (about 3 miles; MOUNT OLIVE, NC; Abbreviation: W40)
- DUPLIN CO (about 16 miles; KENANSVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: DPL)
- GOLDSBORO-WAYNE MUNI (about 20 miles; GOLDSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GWW)
Amtrak station near Mount Olive:
- 15 miles: GOLDSBORO (410 N. JOHN ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mount Olive:
- CAMPBELL UNIVERSITY INC (about 49 miles; BUIES CREEK, NC; Full-time enrollment: 5,286)
- WAKE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 4,754)
- FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,506)
- COASTAL CAROLINA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 56 miles; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,237)
- SHAW UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,299)
- PITT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,072)
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY AT RALEIGH (about 57 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 23,918)