The State University of Land Administration : (GUZ for its acronym in Russian) is one of the oldest universities in Russia, a specialized higher education institution dedicated to the training of specialists in the field of land administration, real estate cadastre and the city cadastre, as well as surveyors, architects, lawyers, economists and managers in the field of land administration and market appraisers of land, land and real estate. The GUZ has been the winner of multiple international awards.
The State University of Land Administration includes 7 faculties: Law, Land Administration, Urban Cadastre, Real Estate Cadastre, Architecture, Correspondence, and Second Higher Education (Postgraduate).
On average, the university assumes about 5,000 students from Russia and 40 other countries each year, offering undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral studies and dissertation advice. The university has more than 320 faculty, including full members and corresponding members from various scientific academies, and more than a hundred professors and doctors of science.
It is one of the few universities in Moscow with a military department. Sergei Nikolayevich Volkov was appointed its first director.
The State University of Land Administration is located in the center of Moscow, at 15 Kazakova Street. Its history begins in 1779 when the School of Surveying is opened, due to the lack of trained personnel in the matter and to the state importance that it assumed. It was this university that provided Russia with personnel to carry out land reform, organize surveying, fix borders, establish property rights, and currently sponsor a modern administrative division. When founded, it is called the Konstantinovsky School of Surveying, by decree of the Governing Senate in honor of the grandson of Catherine II the Great., Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich, and since its foundation, the state, represented in its beginnings by the empress, has sponsored this educational institution. In 1835 it was renamed an Institute of Surveying and from 1835 to 1916 it was named Konstantinovsky Institute of Topography.
In 1836, the old building of the Kurakin princes estate was rebuilt to accommodate the institute according to the project of the architect ED Tyurin.
The first director of the Konstantinovsky Institute and the author of its first letter was the great Russian writer Sergei Timofeevich Aksakov, at the invitation of which in 1838 the famous Russian literary critic and philosopher Vissarion Grigoryevich Belinsky taught Russian literature here. Mikhail Nikolayevich Muravyov, administrator of the Institute in 1842 made a great contribution to the development of the institute by organizing a museum office for geodetic instruments, a lithography and a pharmacy. In 1844, Muravyov approved the new charter of the Konstantinovsky surveying institute and under the new charter, the institute introduced six-year education, and new academic disciplines such as architecture and mineralogy. In the 1840s, an astronomical observatory was founded at the Land Surveying Institute.
Since its inception, the institute has become the main and only higher educational, methodological and scientific center for land management in Russia. At the beginning it was a closed educational institution for 200 students and courses with a duration of 4 years.
In 1849, the Konstantinovsky Institute became a first-class university and was transferred to the post of military institution until 1867.
The Russian emperors attached great importance to the topography of the land in Russia. It is no accident that Nicholas I and subsequently Alexander II repeatedly visited the Konstantinovsky Institute and monitored the level of education in land management.
In 1916, the Institute received the title of “imperial” for services to the Fatherland in staff training.
In total, from 1835 to 1916, the Konstantinovsky boundary institute trained about 2,000 specialists, including about 1,500 boundary engineers.
Moscow Boundary Institute (1917-1944)
In 1917, a new era in the life of the university began with the name of the Moscow Boundary Institute, as well as a new charter.
The Institute was administered by the Main Committee for Vocational Education of the People’s Commissariat of the RSFSR. Since 1922, only two faculties functioned at the institute: land administration and geodesy. The Faculty of Engineering and Recovery was transferred to the Timiryazevskaya Agricultural Academy, formerly Petrovsky.
The decision to create two faculties served as the beginning of the engineering specialization, which corresponded to the desire of many years of the scientists and the wide professional circles of the Institute. It was possible to substantially revise the institute’s curriculum. The faculties were divided by specialization.
The Land Administration Department had the following specializations: land techniques, land legal, land economics, and colonization-resettlement.
In the Faculty of Geodesy there were the following specializations: astronomical and geodetic, topographic, instrumentation and engineering studies.
The course towards the proletarianization of the university according to the 1918 charter allowed women to appear among the students of the institute. As of 1930, the Institute had graduated 986 ground engineers and 390 geodetic engineers.
In February 1930, the Moscow Land Institute was transferred to the USSR People’s Commissariat. In the same year, the institute was divided into two universities: the Moscow Geodetic Institute (currently the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography (MIIGAiK)) which was established on the basis of the Department of Geodesy, and the Institute of Management of Moscow Land (MIIZ) which was established on the basis of the land management department.
From 1945 to 1990 it was called the Moscow Institute of Land Management Engineers (MIIZ). In 1990 it was renamed Moscow State University of Land Administration and is the only and the largest specialized higher education institution in Russia that trains engineers in the field of land administration, land cadastres and cities. It also trains geodesists, architects, lawyers, economists and managers in the field of land management and the land market, land and real estate appraisers, ecologists and environmental managers.
Since 1988, the university has led the Educational and Methodological Association for Education in the Field of Land Management and Cadastre, which coordinates all educational activities in this area and includes 67 Russian universities.
The University maintains contacts with many higher education institutions in the United States, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, China, Vietnam, Mongolia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Cuba and other countries.
The Information Technology Center, the International Center for Continuing Professional Education, the Consulting Center for Land Relations and Management, the Regional Center for State Testing, the Department of Research and Production, function successfully in the upper house of studies. and various preparatory courses.
In 2005, the Informkadastr Advanced Training Institute was created on the basis of the continuing education faculty to train the employees of the Rosnedvizhimost system with a number of students of about 2.5 thousand people per year.
In 2007, the University established the Earth Information Technology Research and Production Institute (NPI Zeminform). On the basis of this institute, students of engineering specialties had the opportunity to receive practical training using the most modern technologies, space, aviation, as well as unmanned aerial vehicles, the latest geodetic equipment and instruments, software and hardware, and other scientific developments.
The university works to improve the quality of the educational process, master programs for the training of specialists at multiple levels, create new and improve existing state educational standards. For this purpose, the Center for Improving the Quality of Education is created, has been created and operates successfully.
From 1861 the Academic Council of the University awarded the graduates the Honorary Academic Badge. Since 2002, university graduates have also received the Konstantinovsky honorary badge of three degrees (gold, silver and medal according to their results) to graduates and teachers who made a significant contribution to the development of university and management education. land.
In 2004, in commemoration of the 225th anniversary of the founding of the State University of Land Administration, the Honorary Badge “For Merit for the University” was established, which was awarded to many university teachers and staff, and in 2009, in commemoration of the 230th anniversary of the State University of Land Management, the Honorary Badge “For contribution to land management” of two degrees.