According to topschoolsintheusa, Killington, Vermont is a small town located in Rutland County. It is situated in the Green Mountains of Central Vermont and has a population of approximately 2,500 people. The geography is dominated by the Green Mountains and there are many rivers and streams running through the area. The climate is typically cold to moderate with temperatures ranging from -5 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius throughout the year.
Killington was founded in 1763 and has a rich history that includes the Revolutionary War and Civil War eras. The town was originally called Sherburne, but changed its name to Killington in 1892 after local resident William Killington. Politics in Killington follow traditional Vermont values of independence, self-reliance, and community involvement.
The economy of Killington is primarily based on tourism as it is home to some of Vermont’s best ski resorts such as Pico Mountain, Killington Ski Resort, and Sunrise Mountain Resort. In addition to skiing and snowboarding, there are also many other activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, camping, swimming, golfing available for people visiting or living in Killington.
Education in Killington is provided by several schools including a public elementary school (Killington Elementary School) and two private schools (Killington Mountain School and Mountain Top Montessori). There are also several higher education institutions nearby including Castleton University and Middlebury College which offer various degree programs for students looking to further their education beyond high school.
Killington boasts some great landmarks that make it unique such as the Appalachian Trail which passes through town; Bear Mountain which offers breathtaking views; Gifford Woods State Park which covers over 400 acres with trails for hiking or biking; Long Trail Brewing Company which offers locally made beer; plus numerous ski resorts throughout the area. All these attractions make Killington a great place for visitors looking for outdoor recreation or just a peaceful getaway from city life.
Males: 586 (53.5%), Females: 509 (46.5%)
Median resident age: 41.6 years
Median household income: $47,500
Median house value: $186,900
Races in Killington:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.0%), German (17.6%), English (14.1%), Italian (10.7%), Polish (6.6%), French Canadian (6.0%).
Neah Killington, Vermont is a small town located in the Northeast corner of the Green Mountain State. The population of Neah Killington is estimated to be around 1,500 people and has a median age of 42.5 years old. The town is largely a rural area and has a moderate climate that enjoys all four seasons.
Neah Killington residents enjoy a low cost of living compared to other areas in the state. Housing costs are relatively low compared to other towns in Vermont, with an average home price of $191,000. Rentals are also reasonable with an average cost of $975 per month for a two bedroom apartment. Utilities such as electricity and water are also relatively inexpensive when compared to the rest of the state, averaging just over $140 per month for basic services. Additionally, there are plenty of local amenities within Neah Killington that make life comfortable for its residents including grocery stores, restaurants, banks, and medical facilities all within close proximity to one another.
For population 25 years and over in Killington
- High school or higher: 95.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 48.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.7%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Killington town
- Never married: 29.6%
- Now married: 56.3%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 9.5%
5.1% Foreign born (2.9% Europe, 1.0% Asia, 0.8% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Killington:
- RUTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; RUTLAND, VT)
- GIFFORD MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; RANDOLPH, VT)
- MT ASCUTNEY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; WINDSOR, VT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Killington:
- RUTLAND STATE (about 16 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
- BURLINGTON INTL (about 60 miles; BURLINGTON, VT; Abbreviation: BTV)
- FLOYD BENNETT MEMORIAL (about 62 miles; GLENS FALLS, NY; Abbreviation: GFL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Killington:
- MIDDLEBURY STATE (about 30 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT; Abbreviation: 6B0)
- HARTNESS STATE (SPRINGFIELD) (about 30 miles; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Abbreviation: VSF)
- WARREN-SUGARBUSH (about 31 miles; WARREN, VT; Abbreviation: 0B7)
KILLINGTON (RTE 4) – Seasonal Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Killington:
- NORWICH UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; NORTHFIELD, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,585)
- MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,265)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 37 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
- UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT AND STATE AGRICULTURAL COLL (about 57 miles; BURLINGTON, VT; Full-time enrollment: 8,852)
- SAINT MICHAELS COLLEGE (about 63 miles; COLCHESTER, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,272)
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 63 miles; KEENE, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,049)
- ADIRONDACK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 67 miles; QUEENSBURY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,182)
Private high school in Killington:
- KILLINGTON MOUNTAIN SCHOOL (Students: 44; Location: P O BOX 509; Grades: 7 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Killington:
- SHERBURNE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 86; Location: 686 SCHOOL HOUSE ROAD; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Killington:
- SHERBURNE MEMORIAL (Operating income: $143,820; Location: P.O. BOX 73, 2998 RIVER RD.; 15,264 books; 884 audio materials; 229 video materials; 71 serial subscriptions)