According to 800zipcodes, Hampton, Georgia is located in Henry County, about 45 minutes south of Atlanta. It is a small city with a population of just over 7,000 people as of 2019. Geographically, the city is situated in the rolling hills of north-central Georgia. The climate is typical of the southeastern United States with hot and humid summers and mild winters.
The history of Hampton goes back to the early 1800s when it was founded as a railroad town. Over the years it has grown into a thriving community with businesses, schools, churches, and other amenities. Today it is known for its friendly atmosphere and welcoming attitude towards newcomers. Politically, Hampton leans toward Democratic candidates in most elections but has also elected Republicans to local offices in recent years.
The economy of Hampton is largely based on agriculture and manufacturing. The city has several large farms that produce corn, wheat, cotton and other crops for local consumption and export to other parts of the country. Additionally there are several manufacturing plants that provide jobs for local residents.
Hampton is served by two public school districts: Henry County Schools and Hampton City Schools which offer elementary through high school education to students living in the area. In addition to public schools there are several private schools that offer an alternative education option for families who prefer it.
There are many landmarks throughout Hampton which make it unique from other cities in Georgia including an old train depot which serves as a popular tourist attraction today; an old gristmill; an old cotton gin; several historic churches; and several monuments dedicated to veterans who served during World War I & II as well as Vietnam War era soldiers who hailed from the area. All these landmarks remind locals and visitors alike about the rich history of this small town nestled away in north-central Georgia hills.
Population: 3,857. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,743 (+23.0% change)
Males: 1,852 (48.0%), Females: 2,005 (52.0%)
Zip code: 30228
Median resident age: 30.7 years
Median household income: $46,094
Median house value: $97,900
Races in Hampton:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.1%)
- Black (13.4%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (21.8%), Irish (9.9%), English (9.4%), German (5.8%), Dutch (3.4%), French (3.2%).
Elevation: 890 feet
Land area: 4.3 square miles
Hampton, Georgia is a small town in Clayton County, located just south of Atlanta. The population of the town is estimated to be around 6,000 people. It is a diverse community with many different races and ethnicities represented. The majority of the population is African American or Hispanic, followed by White and Asian. The median age in Hampton is 34 years old, and the median household income is $45,000. There are plenty of job opportunities within the city limits as well as in nearby cities and counties. Education is important to the residents of Hampton and there are several schools in the area that offer quality education for children from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also two colleges located within 20 minutes of Hampton for those who wish to pursue higher education. Residents also enjoy plenty of recreational activities such as fishing, boating, camping, hiking, golfing and more at nearby parks or lakes. Shopping opportunities abound with local stores offering everything from groceries to home goods. Eating out can be a pleasure too with many restaurants offering different types of cuisine from around the world. With its friendly atmosphere and tight-knit community feel, Hampton has something for everyone who calls it home!
For population 25 years and over in Hampton
- High school or higher: 73.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hampton city
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 15.2%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,176 (+43.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hampton:
- SPALDING REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; GRIFFIN, GA)
- HENRY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; STOCKBRIDGE, GA)
- SOUTHERN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; RIVERDALE, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hampton:
- THE WILLIAM B HARTSFIELD ATLANTA INTL (about 20 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Abbreviation: ATL)
- DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE (about 39 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Abbreviation: MGE)
- MIDDLE GEORGIA REGIONAL (about 67 miles; MACON, GA; Abbreviation: MCN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hampton:
- CLAYTON COUNTY – TARA FIELD (about 2 miles; HAMPTON, GA; Abbreviation: 4A7)
- RUST AIRSTRIP (about 9 miles; WOOLSEY, GA; Abbreviation: 3RU)
- GRIFFIN-SPALDING COUNTY (about 12 miles; GRIFFIN, GA; Abbreviation: 6A2)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hampton:
- CLAYTON COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; MORROW, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,953)
- GEORGIA PERIMETER COLLEGE (about 22 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 8,213)
- GORDON COLLEGE (about 25 miles; BARNESVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,263)
- ATLANTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 26 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 17,302)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 27 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- CLARK ATLANTA UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,652)
Private high school in Hampton:
- BIBLE BAPTIST CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 279; Location: 2780 MOUNT CARMEL RD; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Hampton:
- KEMP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,160; Location: 10990 FOLSOM ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- HAWTHORNE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 914; Location: 10750 ENGLISH ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- HAMPTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 825; Location: 10 CENTRAL AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- MOUNT CARMEL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 691; Location: 2450 MOUNT CARMEL ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)