Surely you’ve heard hundreds of times say that if you want to do definition you must do many repetitions and if you want to do volume you must do a few repetitions, but this already left it clear at HowStuffWorks on the differences between the two which need not be so, but if it is true that changing the number of repetitions different fibres are worked.
What there is to be clear is that whatever we trained with a very short repeats range or the series is made up of many repetitions, the training must always be intense, This is achieved by varying the amount of weight in the preparation with one or another number of replicates per series.
This means that the weight go for for the realization of the series should be the fair so if, for example, we do 10 repetitions, we get right of force to carry out the last, and also the weight for 3 repetitions should be just for making them the last us cost to make it (even at times should be reached muscle failure)
Fibers that work
Surely when you searched for a specific objective, when it comes to your routines, ever thought in What would be the exact number of repetitions to make, for this we need to understand the different fibers are working when we vary the number of repetitions of our series:
- Type I fibers: also known as red or slow-twitch, are characterized by a reduced number of myofibrils that are grouped in certain areas. Making series with many repetitions Gets stronger because that is the type I fibers.This type of fibers is not fatigue easily, because on the one hand they get large amount of energy per unit of material consumed and have abundant energy and other reservation in the combustion process, the amount of waste products produced is low.
- Type II fibers: also white or shrink fast., calls are characterized by the abundance of myofibrils. When made are sets of few reps There is a great increase myofibrillar therefore is more type II fibers.They are fast-twitch fibers as they possess a large number of contractile elements in relation to liabilities or elastic, but They fatigue quickly as the amount of energy produced is low, its scarce reserves and production of residual substances high, though within these fibers are the who get tired quickly and the B which has an intermediate behavior.
Muscle and fibers
Within a muscle, as a general rule, always There are fibers of both types but depending on the type of movement that normally occur will dominate one type or another fiber, so performing a particular activity we can emphasize the type of fiber that we need for our purpose.
Typically tends to be in the muscles of the trunk dominate red fibers or type I, have an ongoing activity, while the muscles of the Tips predominate white fibers or type II, since that activity is related to the movement, hence they need shrinking faster.
Goals by range of repetitions
- 1 to 5 repetitions: are typically used to search for a increase strength, Since this is obtained through adaptations of muscle fibers. This does not imply that it earns muscle volume, such as some athletes practicing weightlifting
- From 6 to 12 repetitions: the work is mainly produced in muscle fibers, hence which are recommended when be exaggerating, Since her wins in volume and force (although the strength is not increased to the maximum).
- Of 12 to 20 repetitions: benefits to the muscular endurance penalizing in the strength that will surely decrease, this is because they favor aerobic work basically metabolic changes taking place.
This means that when we seek well volume either definition We will have to move in lathe always 6 to 12 repetitions, This range gets maximum hypertrophy, the best way to gain volume or not lose it if the strength is not the main objective, but it will also gain strength but not as much as with repetitions between 1 and 5.