4 Types of Light Bulbs

What is than a LED bulb?

A light-emitting diode, abridged under the acronyms LED or LED (English light-emitting diode), is an electronic component that is capable of emitting light when it is traversed by an electric current.

4 Types of Light Bulbs

This technology is used for four decades for signage applications (light). A few years ago their power did not exceed a few miliwatts (mW) and the LEDS were available in red, green or yellow.
Today their power has increased considerably and they can be used in lighting.

There are 4 broad categories of light bulbs:

Incandescent bulbs

The classic incandescent, invented in 1878 by Thomas Edison light bulb has revolutionized the world. But this old technology more of a century seems now outdated, because little economic and energy. 95% of the energy it consumes is transformed into heat, so the temperature of the bulb can be up to 150 ° C. The remaining energy (5%) is converted into light.

Halogen bulbs

The halogen bulb is 20 to 30% more efficient than an incandescent bulb and allows 30 to 50% energy savings. Its brightness 20 lm/W (close to that of the Sun) is well suited for reading or close work. But for this technology also, 93% of the consumed energy is transformed into heat, and use, the cost is very high.

Compact fluorescent bulbs (also called low consumption bulb)

The compact fluorescent bulb, or compact fluorescent bulb (CFL), is an alternative to conventional bulbs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs were produced in 1974, when researchers have had the idea of inward a fluorescent tube. This technology has many disadvantages, a slow ignition, a life expectancy very sensitive to cycles of ignitions and extinction and strong pollution (presence of mercury in the bulb).

Led bulbs

Their strengths are due to the fact that LEDS can produce light with a very low voltage (a few volts) to a very good light and energy performance. Also, led bulbs almost do not get hot and have a very long service life (about 30 times longer than a traditional incandescent bulb).

What is than the Lumen?

The light output of a LED bulb is the report of the luminous flux emitted by the electric power consumed. It is expressed in lumens per watt (lm/W).
This setting allows to compare the efficiency of the conversion of light energy.

The ‘watt’ is a measure of consumption and no lighting. For ease in the choice of the bulbs, we have retained this element of measurement in order to facilitate the choice of the bulb.