Hair loss is a natural process that is part of the growth cycle of the strands and, therefore, it is normal for the individual even notice that you lose between 60 to 100 strands of hair per day.
Hair loss can be worrying when it is excessive, that is, when you lose more than 100 strands of hair per day, because it can be caused by hormonal changes, stress, lack of vitamins or anemia, for example.
The main causes of hair loss
Excessive hair fall can be caused by:
- Food poor in nutrients and vitamins:protein, zinc, iron, vitamin a and vitamin C helps in growth and strengthening the hair, so a diet poor in these nutrients favors the falling of the hair;
- Stress and anxiety:stress and anxiety increase the levels of cortisone and adrenaline, which inhibit the growth of the wires, causing excessive loss;
- Genetic factors:the excessive hair loss can be inherited from parents;
- Process of aging:menopause in women and andropause in men can increase the hair fall due to the decrease of hormones;
- Anemia: anemia iron deficiency can cause excessive loss of hair, because the iron helps oxygenate the tissues, including the scalp;
- The use of chemicals on the hair, or hairstyles too stuck to the scalp:can damage the hair strands, promoting their fall;
- Use of medicines:medicines such as warfarin, heparin, propiltiouracila, carbimazol, vitamin A, isotretinoin, acitretin, lithium, beta-blockers, colchicine, amphetamines and medicines against cancer and may promote the hair loss;
- Fungal infection:infection of the scalp by fungi, called had or ringworm, can lead to excessive loss of hair strands;
- Post-partum:the decrease in the level of hormones after the birth may result in hair loss;
- Some diseases such as lupus, hipotireoisdimo, hyperthyroidism or alopecia areata. Learn more at: Alopecia areata.
In these cases, it is recommended to make an appointment at the dermatologist to identify the cause and guide the treatment that can be done with adequate food, medicines, nutritional supplements, shampoos, aesthetic techniques such as procedure or laser, or surgical techniques such as implant or hair transplant.